Why won't my car start?
When it comes to vehicle problems few things are as disheartening as turning the key and the vehicle not turning on. Today's vehicles are extremely complex, which means there are many, many things that could prevent them from starting. However, depending on the symptoms that you're experiencing in your vehicle a professional technician will likely be able to figure out rather quickly what the issue is. The following are some of the most common problems that will prevent a car from starting.
The electrical system in your vehicle is large and it has some very important jobs, many which have to do with getting your car started and keeping it running. The following components may prevent your engine from roaring should they experience trouble.
- Ignition - When you turn the key in the ignition it basically creates an electrical pathway that initiates the starting process. If the ignition switch breaks, becomes corroded or experiences some other issue the vehicle will not be able to start.
- Starter - When the key is turned an electrical current is sent to the starter motor, which basically gets the engine spinning to create the compression necessary to keep it running. A failed starter will produce a loud clicking noise when you turn the key.
- Alternator - The alternator is what creates electricity while the vehicle is running. A failed alternator will eventually cause the battery to be drained of the reserve power, resulting in a car that won't start.
- Spark Plugs - The spark plugs are fed an electrical charge that ignites the air and fuel mixture. If they become corroded, mis-gapped or corroded they won't be able to fire and the engine will not be able to start, or it will at least run very poorly.
- Battery - A dead battery is a very common cause of a vehicle not starting. Batteries generally have a lifespan of 2 to 5 years but may die if lights are left on or a door is ajar.
Fuel Delivery Problem
Another integral system for getting a car going and keeping it going is the fuel system. There are a few key components that may give you trouble starting if they're having issues.
- Fuel Pump - The fuel pump's purpose is to pump gas from the tank to the engine. A failed fuel pump will starve the engine of gas, preventing it from running.
- Fuel Filter - If the fuel filter becomes clogged the engine will run very poorly or not at all. This is often a quick and inexpensive fix.
- Fuel Injectors - Clogged fuel injectors can also prevent the engine from getting the gas it needs.
If your car is giving you any trouble starting be sure to seek the assistance of an auto repair shop that staffs ASE certified technicians. If your car won't start in Corona you'll want to talk to the pros at Precision Import Auto Repairs. We offer excellent service for all makes and models, with a special interest in European vehicles. Give us a call at (951) 734-0795 to schedule an appointment for expert auto maintenance in Corona today!
Precision Import Auto Repairs Blog
Written By Brian Corey
Published By MORBiZ
Simple Driving Tips & Auto Maintenance Tips to Restore Fuel Efficiency
The Primary Automotive Systems
Customer Reviews of Precision Import Auto Repair in Corona, CA
What does the Suspension Do and What are the Signs of Suspension Trouble?
Why does my car battery keep dying?
Is it Time for Transmission Repair?
Understanding Automotive Sensors
Is your Car Ready for Summer Road Trips?
Car won't start? Here's 5 common problems that could be why
4 Common Signs you Need Radiator Repair
If This Happens it's Time for Engine Diagnostics
Top Symptoms of Brake Failure
Is it Time for Exhaust Repair?
Why is the Check Engine Light On?
5 Common Problems with the Saab 9-5
7 Services to Extend the Life of Your Car
How Auto Maintenance Saves you Gas
What are Fluid Flushes and Does My Car Need One?
FAQ: Smog Checks
Vehicle Vibrations that Indicate it is Time for Auto Repair
4 Signs your Car Needs a Wheel Alignment
Why do European Vehicles have so many Computers?
What car problems create weird smells?
Most Common Causes of Engine Failure
4 Signs it is Time for Brake Repair
Top Services of an Import Auto Repair Specialist
What European Countries Sell the Most Cars in the USA?
Common Symptoms your Vehicle is Due for Cooling System Repair
4 Odd Noises that Mean Your Car Needs Auto Repair
Top Qualities of a BMW Dealership Alternative in Corona
How can I get my car ready for summer?
6 Triggers of the Check Engine Light
My car is having weird electrical issues, is there an auto electrician?
What is Scheduled Auto Maintenance?
Top 4 Reasons to Change Your Oil Regularly
4 Common Electrical Problems with the Audi A4
Why won't my car start?
"Braking" it down - 5 signs of brake failure you need to know
3 Sign Your Car Needs Exhaust Repair
Must Know Mini Cooper Issues
Do I need Engine Repair? 4 Signs that Say Yes!
Smart Driving Tips to Increase MPGs
4 Signs it is Time for Manual Transmission Repair
Does my car need a wheel alignment?
Why Won't the AC Blow Cold?
4 Common Problems with BMW e36 Vehicles
4 Known Late Model Mercedes E Class Problems
4 Common Causes of a Failed Emissions Test
Tips to Find a European Auto Repair Shop You can Trust
The Major Signs of Fuel Pump Failure
4 Warning Signs of Brake Failure
Overheating? 3 Signs of a Cooling System Leak
3 Symptoms of Suspension Problems